The department is staffed by a specialist teacher of media. The department has an Apple Mac suite with 30 machines and lots of specialist equipment. Extra-curricular activities play a vital role in the development of the students. We have a media club and have students participating in projects to promote the school.
At GCSE the course will encourage students to:
- Foster a critical understanding of a range of media texts and the way they are read and understood by different audiences
- Develop a critical awareness of media representatives of individuals, groups and issues
- Develop an understanding of the relationship between media industries/institutions/technologies (including ICT), products and audiences
- Encourage an awareness of the debates surrounding the role of the media,
- Enable candidates to explore and represent their own creativity and experiences by developing practical production skills in one or more media.
In the sixth form we offer A level Media. The course covers the following areas:
- Research Techniques
- Production Management
- Pre-production techniques
- Understanding video technology
- Interview and presentation technique
- Video editing
- Writing for television and video
- Factual programming production techniques
- Advertising production
For all information relating to the courses follow the assessment link on the right hand side.