Dear Parents and Carers
Welcome to Epsom and Ewell High School. I hope that you have got a real insight into the school from the information on this website and by visiting us to see us at work. I would encourage all of you to make an appointment to visit us so that you can confirm external agencies' views of us:
- In 2012 the local authority graded us as 'outstanding' in the main school all key areas and 'good' in the sixth form.
- In 2011 and 2012 our exam results were outstanding and showed that we performed well above the progress made in the top 2% of schools nationally.
- In 2012 we received the 'outstanding improvement award' from the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust.
- In 2010 and again in 2012 OFSTED graded us a 'good' with a number of outstanding features, particularly in the key areas of leadership, progress and capacity to improve
- In 2010 we were named in the OFSTED Chief Inspector's Report as one of the 8 most improved schools in the country and one of only 3 schools that jumped four levels in their grading categories in one go. The Chief Inspector of Schools for England and Wales stated that to "... become a good or outstanding school after being in an Ofsted category in the previous full inspection shows a singularity of purpose that comes from highly capable leadership."
- In both 2010 and 2011 we were ranked 5th and in 2012 ranked 2nd in Surrey for our GCSE results in terms of added value
- In 2011 were appointed as one of Surrey's support schools whereby we offer assistance to other schools in making changes. Since that appointment we have supported the establishment of a new school, provided quality teaching to two others throughout 2011-12 and will do so again in 2012-13.
- During the last year we have provided leadership support to three other Surrey secondary schools and will do so again in 2012-13.
- We are part of the St John the Baptist (Woking) teaching school alliance to train new recruits to the profession. We are also working in tandem with Salesian School to provide excellent professional development for our staff.
In short, this is a fast moving school in which all students can achieve both inside and outside the classroom. OFSTED's main conclusion accurately reflects what this school is now about. The final report stated that "Epsom and Ewell High is a good school that has undergone a transformational journey in the last three years... Staff and students alike believe that they can achieve outstandingly well."
Our exam results this summer will really support this. Such is the quality of the teaching and the aspirational attitude of the students we have shown that if you if you attend at least 95% of the time you will get at least 5 good GCSEs at grade C or above. This is the magic qualification that will open up courses in sixth forms and colleges. For those wanting to go onto higher education the importance that we attach to English and mathematics and the results that our students achieve show that we provide an excellent academic platform for all.
Importantly for everyone associated with the school we are not content to stand still. Please access our strategic and development plans. They reflect our ambition to continue to provide the best education we can for our students and be the highest performing school in Surrey. Best of all please come and visit - any time on any day. We would be delighted to show you round.
The opening evening for prospective students looking for entry in the 2013-14 academic year will be on Thursday 4th October 2012. The evening will start at 6 p.m. and end at 9 p.m. Alex Russell, the headteacher will give two addresses. The first will be at 6 p.m., the second at 7 p.m. Each address will last about 30 minutes.
The school will also be open from Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th October from 9.15 a.m. for parents and prospective students to tour the site and see us at work. If you cannot make that time you are welcome to make an appointment any time. Please contact the school office to arrange this.