Dear Parents and Carers
Welcome to Epsom and Ewell High School. I hope that you have got a real insight into the school from the information on this website and by visiting us to see us at work. I would encourage all of you to make an appointment to visit us so that you can confirm external agencies' views of us:
In 2016 all A level students gained their first or second choice university place and GCSE results bucked the downward national trend. Whilst the English and mathematics crossover fell by 2.1% nationally to 54%, the school showed a 7% rise to 62% this year. Furthermore, the school’s progress figures were outstanding with the students achieving a progress 8 figure of +0.42. This means that, on average, every student achieved nearly half a grade higher in every subject than they were expected. This is a fantastic achievement.
At A level 98% of all grades were A*-E with just under 70% at A*-C. The average grade profile for A levels was BBC whilst the performance in vocational subjects was truly outstanding with 60% of grades being either distinction * or distinctions.
- In 2015 our exam results in the sixth form were outstanding. Every student passed their A levels with 79% achieving A*-C grades. Our students will be attending the very top universities this September.
- In 2015 our GCSE headline rate suffered slightly as a result of unexpected national changes to grade boundaries in English and mathematics. 55% achieved 5+ A*-C including English and mathematics. The school’s 5+ A*-C at 72% well above the national average of 64%; the school’s A*-C rate of 74% was also well above national average of 69%
- At GCSE our progress figures were fantastic with our value added score of 1031 placing us in the top 10% of schools nationally.
- In 2015 our GCSE ‘Progress 8’ score was 0.48. This means that every student in every achieved half a grade better than they were expected to do. This is an outstanding achievement.
- In 2014-15 the local authority graded us as 'outstanding' across all areas including the sixth form. Please download the report.
- In 2014 we were awarded National Support School status by the Department for Education and the National College for Teaching and Leadership. This recognised our high performing status and capacity to provide school-to-school support.
- In every year of the last 4 years we have been ranked in the top 8 of schools in Surrey for students' 'value added' (i.e. by how much students perform above their expected levels) and only one of 3 Surrey schools to do this.
- In 2013 we founded the Bourne Education Trust; a Surrey based multi-academy trust made up of six schools. It is one of the largest education trusts in Surrey.
- In 2012 OFSTED graded us a 'good' with a number of outstanding features, particularly in the key areas of leadership, progress and capacity to improve. Please download the report.
- In 2012 we received the 'outstanding improvement award' from the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust.
- In 2010 we were named in the OFSTED Chief Inspector’s Report as one of the 8 most improved schools in the country and one of only 3 schools that jumped four levels in their grading categories in one go. The Chief Inspector of Schools for England and Wales stated that to "... become a good or outstanding school after being in an Ofsted category in the previous full inspection shows a singularity of purpose that comes from highly capable leadership."
- We are strategic partners with the SJB and Salesian teaching alliances that train new recruits to the profession.
- In 2013 we founded Teach England. This utilises our expertise to prepare and train foreign teachers relocating to England. Both this and our work with the two aforementioned teaching alliances mean that we can recruit the very best new staff.
In short, this is a fast moving school in which all students can achieve both inside and outside the classroom. OFSTED's main conclusion accurately reflects what this school is now about. The final report stated that "Epsom and Ewell High is a good school that has undergone a transformational journey in the last three years... Staff and students alike believe that they can achieve outstandingly well."
We have delivered the highest of standards and sustained that performance over the last 4 years. We value every student and leave no stone unturned in ensuring that he or she can achieve. We work closely with parents and have high aspirations for all.
Importantly for everyone associated with the school we are not content to stand still. Please access our school improvement plan. This reflects our ambition to continue to provide the best education we can for our students and be the highest performing school in Surrey. Best of all please come and visit - any time on any day. We would be delighted to show you round.
If you are parents and prospective students and you would like to tour the site and see us at work, please contact the school office. You are welcome to make an appointment any time.