At a glance
Course title Economics
Level AS and A2
Exam board AQA (www.aqa.org.uk)
For the new A-level specification you will cover 14 topics and then complete your exams at the end of the second year.
Subject content (14 Topics areas)
- Individuals, firms, markets and market failure
- The economic problem and economic methodology
- Individual economic decision making
- Price determination in a competitive market
- Production, costs and revenue
- Perfect competition, imperfectly competitive markets and monopoly
- The labour market
- The distribution of income and wealth: poverty and inequality
- The market mechanism, market failure and government intervention in markets
- The national and international economy
- The measurement of macroeconomic performance
- How the macroeconomy works : the circular flow of income, AD/AS analysis
- Economic performance
- Financial markets and monetary policy
- Fiscal policy and supply-side policies
- The international economy
You will sit three exams (two for AS). Each exam is two hours and includes data response questions and essay questions.
For the new AS specification you will cover the first 6 topics and then complete your exams at the end of the first year. The AS result cannot be counted towards your final A2 grade.